When it comes to training dogs, there are tons of commands and tricks to teach him or her, but there is one command in particular that can end up saving your pup’s life: COME.
Let’s say you’re on a walk or in the park with your furry best friend by your side, then he gets distracted by something that gets tossed out a passerby car window; he goes to run for the object amidst heavy traffic. This is one of many times when ‘COME’ will be crucial for your dog to know.
If you want to take the extra step to make sure your dog is safe and stays out of harm’s way, ‘COME’ is a good place to start.
Here’s how to get started:
1. Make sure your dog is on a leash.
2. Hold onto your end of the leash and tell your dog “come” once, and walk backwards. You should walk fairly quickly.
3. Continue to move in that direction until your dog finally reaches you.
4. Once your dog gets to you, you excitedly praise your dog for correctly coming.
5. Give him a treat for correctly coming.
6. Repeat, and eventually lose the leash once the action is naturally done, and you’re confident in his understanding of the command.
And don’t forget–practice makes perfect!