Rescue Dog Risks His Life To Share Owner
A German Shepherd that was rescued from a shelter is being hailed as a hero after saving his 7-year-old owner, Molly, from a rattlesnake behind the family home in Tampa, Florida. The brave 2-year-old Shepherd, Haus was saved by the DeLuca family just two months prior, when he risked his life to stand between a poisonous eastern diamondback rattlesnake, the most venomous serpent species in North America, and Molly.
Molly’s mom told ABC news that Molly was picking up dog toys in the family’s small yard, with Haus by her side, when her grandmother saw him jumping around frantically
The grandma was standing in the doorway of the family’s screened-in pool when she saw Haus leaping forwards and snapping back three times. When she walked toward them to take a look, she recognized they had been approached by a snake, DeLuca said
But “Haus stood his ground,” DeLuca said, getting between Molly and the snake.
Haus snapped back, the snake was biting him.
The family discovered that each time Haus stepped back, the incredibly poisonous snake had bitten him.
The whole family safe and sound.
The loving family immediately rushed Haus to a crisis veterinarian nearby. He was still walking, but was hobbling badly, with blood pouring from his leg, DeLuca said.
Minutes later, Haus’ state had worsened dramatically, she said. He couldn’t pick up his head and was drooling. She said she might see he was having difficulty breathing. Doctors initially believed since the typical intuition for dogs is to flee following a bite Haus was bitten only once. It wasn’t until they shaved his coat down that they learned that he was bitten 3 times on his right front leg.
DeLuca credits their 68 lb German Shephard rescue with saving her daughter’s life. Since the day he was rescued, the heroic GSD, bonded with the family If it were Molly, who’s smaller, I don’t know that she would have made it,” DeLuca said. “He was willing to give his life for our family.”
Haus received 9 vials of antivenin to fight the serpent bites, DeLuca said, saying it took some time for it to work. Doctors decided to give him a constant drip of the antivenin to him as opposed individual shots. Luckily, his internal organs are good. It looks like Haus will go on to live a happy life with his family.